- To work on exciting, high availability, high profile product,
solving the problems everybody loves to have.
- Backpacker, ski mountaineer, equestrian, sailor, motorcyclist,
SCUBA diver, photographer
- Amateur chamber music cellist
- Alumnus, Alpha Delta Phi. Positions include President, Literary Chair
- Wrote Aargh, award winning procmail-based email auto-responder for Linux
- Wrote Skipool, a carpooling assistant for ski addicts
- Contributed to the Ganglia
distributed monitoring project, and wrote several gmetric scripts
- Contributed to the Ambient project, a cooperative office music manager
- Contributed to the Agnostos to-do list manager
- Certified MySQL 5.0 DBA
- Simply Hired,
Inc., Mountain View, CA (Nov 2004 to June
Sr. Systems Administrator
- Architected production environment, designing for growth
- Built scaleable, fault tolerant, secure network to launch simplyhired.com
- Grew simplyhired.com from 0 to >200k UV/day and >1m page views per day
- Principal administrator for all aspects of the Linux side of the network (dev, QA, and production), monitoring, backups, resource forecasting, repair, etc.
- Worked with Linux, Apache, MySQL, Memcache, Lucene, php, SystemImager, rsnapshot, heartbeat, Subversion, CVS, Nagios, Ganglia, Netscreen firewalls, Netscaler load balancers, Foundry switches, Ironport appliance
- Wrote perl, shell, and php scripts to facilitate system administration tasks and reporting
- Planetary Coral Reef Foundation, Pacific Ocean (September 2003 to June 2004)
- Lived aboard RV Heraclitus, on duty 4 hours out of every 12 while at sea
- Worked in dry dock repairing ferrocement and lead dismantling / reassembly of technological components (RADAR, SONAR, GPS, computer, SSB and VHF radios)
- Served as radio officer, diver, navigator
- Built science portion of the PCRF website
- Adax, Inc., Berkeley, CA (Oct 2001 to July 2003)
Network Support Engineer: Project engineer, system administrator (linux, solaris)
Programming projects include:
System Administration projects include:
- Wrote a perl / python web front end to the Adax Tunneling Gateway
- Network API to enable remote testing of Adax hardware in a Sun High Availability environment
- Designed and wrote automated test shell to facilitate product QA
- Lead project engineer for M3UA protocol stack integration
- Designed and built firewall, rebuilt main servers
- Initiated development of intranet web services
- Led project to replace all office desktops with open source solutions
- Integrated separate departments networks
- Xpressent, Inc., San Jose, CA (May 2001 to Jul 2001)
Software Programmer, Linux OS: Wrote an Apache module. Worked from home,
without immediate supervision. Set and met deadlines.
- Cooperative Digital, Oakland, CA (Jun 2000 to Aug 2000)
Telephone Technician: Installed, maintained, and repaired Nortel and Panasonic
PBX and voicemail systems. Advised on upgrades and purchases.
- LinuxCare, San Francisco, CA (Jun 1999 to Aug 1999)
Technical Support Intern: Provided second and third level enterprise support
for Linux. Worked in a rotating call center.
- UC Berkeley Office of Residential Computing, Berkeley, CA (Aug 1997
to Jan 1999)
Resident Computer Consultant: Provided first level support for 250 residents.
Platform Specialist: Provided second level support. Planned educational events.